A man has been pulled from the rubble 11 days after the magnitude 7.0 earthquake that struck Haiti. The man was in good condition. The announcement came a day after two people, an 84-year-old woman and a 21-year-old man, were pulled alive from the rubble in Port-au-Prince.
The UN spokeswoman Elizabeth Byrs says 132 people have been rescued since the earthquake 11 days ago.
On Friday the official government death toll from the quake rose to 110,000.
Speaking in Geneva, Ms Byrs said that the decision to end the rescue operation was “heartbreaking” but that it had been taken on the advice of experts.
She said most search and rescue teams would now be leaving Haiti, although some with heavy lifting equipment may stay to help with the clean-up operation and with aid distribution.
She added that humanitarian relief efforts were still being scaled up in Port-au-Prince, as well as in the towns of Jacmel, Leogane and other areas affected by the earthquake.
The BBC’s Adam Mynott, at a university building in Port-au-Prince where many people are feared buried, says there has been some disquiet among Haitians about the decision to end search efforts.
But although two people were pulled out alive in the capital on Friday, it is believed rescue teams have detected no new signs of life under the rubble for the past three days, our correspondent says.